Today I sat for the VMware Certified Professional 5 test since it was the last day before the “What’s New” class was going to be a requirement for the upgrade from VCP4. Hopefully I can give you a few pointers without violating any rules, based on my testing experience.
From a VCP4 holders perspective here is what I would encourage you to know before taking VCP5 (this assumes you already know the material involved for VCP4):
- Know the Linux vCenter Server Appliance (setup, config, etc)
- Know how to apply updates to the vCenter Appliance
- Know Storage IO Control
- Know the differences between vSS and vDS
- Know how to use Auto Deploy
- Auto Deploy seemed to be a big topic, and if you’re like me you don’t use it so make sure to read those documents a couple times
Obviously, there are other topics on the test too, and the best place to look for more details is the Exam Blue Print, but the ones listed above are the ones that tripped me up a little. I passed the test on the first try without any study time, but if I had to go back and do it again those are the topics I would hit the hardest.